Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Feeling Discouraged.

The race I have been training almost 6 months for is 18 days away, and in a matter of days i went from feeling pumped and prepared, to feeling like i may not be able to run at all.

When I had my little 'garage door fight' (you can read about it by clicking here) I genuinely did not expect such a huge stall in my training. To be honest, I'm a klutz and a hypochondriac. I assume that every little accident I have in a day (and I have many accidents in a day) will leave me scarred for life. When this accident happened I didn't genuinely believe I'd be in pain for more than a couple of days.  Even still, when the doctor told me I had sprained my forearm and elbow, I did not understand the full ramifications of what that meant.

I was foolish and continued to exercise and use my arm mostly as normal. As the first few days passed I noticed the pain and swelling increased.  I definitely was not heeding my doctors instructions of "Do not use your arm for anything for at least a week".  Fortunately my loving husband put his foot down and demanded I put my arm in a sling so I would be forced to stop using it.

Its hard to make slings look good, but so far I've at least had them match my outfits :-)





So, as it stands here on day 6, my arm still hurts and I have decided to not work out at all until I can get through a day without it hurting.  I'm having such a hard time not feeling discouraged and reminding myself to be patient.

Ultimately I can't just 'will' it to be better, and I have to remember that loving your body is truly about doing what is best for it every day.

So today I rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment